This year’s Foot Health Month is focusing on promoting Podiatry and educating people about the importance of foot health and general wellbeing in prevention of serious foot health issues.
So what is podiatry?
Podiatry deals with the prevention, diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation of medical and surgical conditions of the feet and lower limbs. Some of the conditions podiatrist treat are:
- Bone and joint problems
- Soft-tissue and muscular dysfunctions
- Neurological and circulatory disease
- Skin and nail disorders, corns, calluses and ingrown toenails.
- Foot injuries
- Foot infections gained
At Body Align Myotherapy & Massage we often refer clients to Podiatrist and also receive referrals for clients who need further soft tissue work. We liaise with the Podiatrist to provide the best hands on treatment for the client. Some of the common conditions we will treat are:
- Shin splints
- Anterior compartment syndrome
- Achilles tendinitis
- Soft tissue pain in the foot
- Calf tightness and pain
- Plantar fasciitis
If you are suffering from any of the above conditions please call us and speak to one of our Myotherapists or Massage Therapists and find out how we can help you!
Our tips on healthy and happy feet:
- Keep your feet clean and dry. Healthy feet start with good hygiene.
- Spiky ball massage – To stimulate the foot and massage through your muscles.
- Ice massage- Place a bottle of water in the freezer, once it has frozen, place the bottle on a towel and slowly roll your foot along the bottle, this will provide an ice massage to the sole of your foot. Do this if you feel the beginnings of inflammation or soreness occurring on the sole of your foot.
- Picking up a towel- Sitting on a chair, place a towel on the floor and use your toes to grab the towel and pick it up. This may be quite challenging but it will stimulate the intrinsic muscles in your foot and build strength in the foot.
We are only given two feet so check them regularly, as prevention is easier and better to manage than treatment! Be kind to your feet and listen to them when they are telling you that they are tired, squashed or uncomfortable. Foot health applies to every month, not just October!
Body Align Myotherapy & Massage your highly qualified Myotherapists and Remedial Massage Therapists, Clifton Hill Melbourne.